April 26, 2012

A Slower Pace

After being so busy around Easter, I declared a much needed hiatus from anything involving preparations or a need to rush. We stayed home all day for the first time in weeks last Thursday and have been trying to do the same as much as possible this week as well. We had just gotten entirely too busy, and I was worn out from going non-stop all the time, and I think the boys were getting overwhelmed as well.
Anyway, although we're taking it easy, we're still having fun together!
William and I went out on Friday night just to dinner and Target. It was a relaxing time just being together. We bought Arden a new swimming pool, which we busted open on Saturday morning. It was the first fairly hot day here, so a pool was just what we needed!

 Yes, I am the only one wearing a swimsuit...

 Chunky Monkey....Porter's pretty chunky too, ha!

Porter Boy was not a fan of the cold water! He lasted about 2 minutes before Daddy had to rescue him from the terror of the pool. Arden, on the other hand, had a blast!

Sunday we went to church and then had to say goodbye to our good friends, the Bajans. They are the ones who have Baby Lydia who was born a week before Porter. Justin got a new job in Richmond, VA, so they had to move. We will miss them terribly and are already so sad that they are gone. We had them over one last time last Wednesday night for dinner, and as always had a great time chatting and laughing together. We definitely shed some tears over their leaving, but I know that they will do great in VA (especially as a new stay at home mom - wink, wink Becky!)

Justin, Becky and Lydia

Sunday evening we had a picnic at a park with our small group. It was a lot of fun just hanging out and playing together! 

This week I have started getting up at 6am to work out and actually get dressed for the day. I've just found that I don't have time to work out without feeling guilty about it if I try to do it while the boys are awake, so I made the decision to start doing it regularly before everyone is awake...we'll see how it goes! I started this week so that I could practice getting up early for next week when I start Boot Camp at 5:30 every morning for 6 weeks! EEK! I bought a Groupon while I was pregnant with Porter for it, and I'm finally able to redeem it and try it out! We'll see if I can remember how it goes since I'll pretty much be sleep walking through it all!

The boys have really been enjoying each other lately. Arden calls Porter "my baby" and introduces him to everyone we come in contact with. He loves making him laugh and Porter loves laughing at Arden. Arden is not too keen on sharing his toys, but we're working on it because he's going to have to get used to it! 

 Arden quickly learned that Porter's got a good grip when he pulled his hair!

 Just doing a little diaper change and spit up clean up

 Per Arden's request...swinging together!

 Get that face, Brother!

Big helpers in the kitchen making dinner!

Porter has some new tricks up his sleeve this week. He's been rolling over in his bed and not wanting to roll back, which results in short naps and early wake up times. It's been pretty rough, but we are working on learning to roll back over and get back to sleep on our own. We're done with swaddling, so he's learning to sleep with his arms free and doing fine. He's sitting up for a few seconds by himself, but not quite ready to do it all on his own. He went to the doctor yesterday and now weighs 16lbs 14oz and is 24.75 inches long. He's got the sweetest personality and is always so cheerful. He loves laughing and talking and playing with anything within reach. He LOVES toys and grabbing onto things and putting them straight into his mouth. He doesn't have any teeth yet, but is doing great with solid foods. He had quite a week last week with launching himself out of his car seat that was on the kitchen table, and falling onto the floor while I had walked over to the sink to put a bowl away.  A mom's worst nightmare, but he was ok and came away with just a little bruise on his head. Mom came away with a broken heart and a lot of distress. Anyway...some other things he's been into...

 Loving the Bumbo that we borrowed from the Ashtons!

Riding in a shopping cart! Hallelujah! I can now take both boys shopping without one of them taking up the entire cart with a car seat! 

Drinking from a cup and a sippy cup...he's amazing!

 GETTIN' that brother!

 Experiencing the Jumperoo for the first time...it was pretty exciting!

Eating...always ready for another bite!

Sleeping...a rare occurrence-sleeping somewhere besides his crib.

Arden has grown into a new level of maturity recently. I can't really describe it, but William and I, both, have commented on how old he seems and how well he's doing. He has been doing really well listening and obeying (most of the time ;)). He has such a sweet spirit and is willing to help out and take care of Porter whenever I ask. Just tonight, Porter was upset at dinner, and Arden walked over to his chair, patted his arm, and said "It's ok Porter, settle down, settle down, you're ok." It was too sweet! He's really been into his tractors and his train this week. He is the neighborhood Welcome Wagon as he stands on the back of the bench on our patio and greets anyone who walks by. It makes me sad though, when he someone doesn't respond and he says "Mom, they're not saying hi to me!" Sorry, Bud, some people don't realize how awesome you are! He loves seeing his friends out playing and is always so excited when he gets to see Sophia, our neighbor. He's growing up so fast, and it is hard to believe that he'll be 3 before we know it! Which reminds me, we talk about "my party" quite often and have even started singing Happy Birthday and blowing out matches as a new game. I just hope he's not disappointed when his real party rolls around and it's not over the top ridiculous (which it would be if we did everything that he's requested for his party).


 His idea of an appropriate outfit for the day...




I know this is long, but one last thought....I have a new best friend! Don't get your panties in a wad, ladies, don't worry, it's not a person, you're still my real BFFs! This is not a person, it's a broom. Or a cordless, rechargeable sweeper vacuum, rather. OMG! How have I lived this long without one?! The OCD in me is thrilled. I have been wanting one for awhile and finally made a decision on which one to get, and it has changed my life! I can practically vacuum my house everyday in a matter of seconds. I also got a new steam mop since my previous one had a broken handle and was starting to not steam anymore. That's pretty exciting too, but not quite as much as the sweeper vac is! This is what I got....

It's a Shark Cordless Sweeper and it is my new BFF.
I strongly recommend this to anyone who has young kids, a hairy dog,  or just a crumby family (crumby in the sense of being messy, not the other kind of crumby..if that's the case, I don't think a sweeper vac can fix your problems)!
(and no, unfortunately I was not paid to advertise this product, I'm just a big fan!)

No comments: