August 19, 2014

It's Off to School We Go!

Well, we are officially in school! Today our lives change forever. This is the new norm. We are all too quickly leaving the "lazy" days at home behind and running full force into the busy days of a school year with schedules and homework and lunches and organized chaos. I have been looking forward to and dreading this day for a long time now, and it is finally here. Arden started Junior Kindergarten this morning. He left with a smile on his face and a Batman backpack on his back. It was strange and familiar all at the same time. I can't believe that my first born is 5 years old. I can't believe that I will no longer have all 3 children at home with me to do as we please day in and day out. I can't believe that Arden is entering into the phase of life that I am no longer a part of every minute of every day. This is neither a good thing nor a bad thing, but it's just different and hard for me to think about.  Today he experienced things and met people and saw things and did things that I have no idea about. Today began a big part of his independence. I am so grateful that we have a wonderful public school for him to go to, I am thankful for the opportunities that he will have to make new friends and learn new things. I am thankful that he is smart and observant and attentive. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared. I'm scared of losing him to friends. I'm scared of letting go. I'm scared that I haven't instructed him in the Lord enough. I'm scared of things he'll experience and choices he will make. I'm scared that he'll get scared or sad or lonely and I won't be there for him. I'm scared of letting him grow up, because I'm scared of what my life will look like without him in it. Am I being dramatic?...most likely. But as a mom, it is so hard to express all the joy and the pain and the excitement and the heartache that all comes with sending your child to school. There are no words. But today, we did it. We made it through the first day of school. There was a strange silence in our house without Arden here. There was definitely a void, but I know that he will do great and I know that he will benefit greatly from the routine and the learning and the friends and the responsibility of school. I also know that our Heavenly Father cares so much more about him than I ever could and that He is working all things for our good. Although this is hard, there are SO many things to be thankful for, and I can have peace because of that and in knowing that God is so good, He's so good to me.

 He seems so old at home, but looking at him with all of his school gear makes me realize just how little he still is.....I mean...look at those legs!
He will go to school every day from 8:15-1:10. It's a good portion of the day, but he will still get to play at home in the afternoons. His teacher is Mrs. Sperry and she is really sweet. He has around 20 kids in his class and I'm pretty sure he is the oldest. (The actual cut off date was July 1st for birthdays, but they gave an exception for us since we missed it by one day). 

 Daddy took him to school this morning and dropped him off at the kindergarten playground so that he could line up with his class. 

 "I got this...I'll see YOU later!"

 Ohh yeahh.

 We made a checklist to use each morning...we practiced on Monday and when he came in my room at 6:30 that morning, I knew he was going to do just fine with the routine!

His first school lunch ever! Classic PB&J of course. And so begins my nightly duty of preparing a school lunch!

Porter, Everett and I walked to pick him up after school. I almost teared up when I saw him (as if it had been forever since I'd seen him) and when his teacher told me that he did so well and that he helped her and that he is "so smart". That'll do pig, that'll do. 

 While Arden was at school, this guy and I went to Target to get his very own backpack and lunchbox. I don't think he put it down the rest of the day! He is starting a homeschool preschool co-op on Friday with some of our local friends. We are getting excited about that! I can't believe Porter is almost 3! He is talking so much and is really funny. He loves to dance, swim, chew gum, keep tabs on Arden, sleep at nap time, stay awake and play at bed time, ride his balance bike, ride his scooter, and pretty much anything that Arden is doing. We love our precious Porter and are enjoying seeing more and more of his personality come out. He is quite the snuggler and loves to cuddle up with one of us often. 

 THIS GUY is getting SO big! He will be 4 months on Monday! I can't even believe it......why must all my babies grow up so fast...wah wah wah!!
Ok, ok....he is such a sweet baby! He is content to just hang out and play with his toys or his feet or his hands. He very rarely cries unless he is just way too tired. He sleeps well for naps and almost through the night. He still wakes up most nights once to eat, but goes right back to sleep. He eats like a champ every 3 hours or so. He is so ticklish and smiley. He loves to watch his brothers and to be held by mommy or daddy. He is also a snuggler and loves to just be held or rocked. He sucks his thumb and sleeps on his tummy. He sticks his tongue out when he smiles or laughs which is super cute. He has been the perfect addition to our family and I could not ask for an easier baby!
 Snuggle bunny. 


 And of course I can't talk about Everett without talking about his hair. We love his crazy hair. It does best when combed into a mohawk. It won't every lay down, even when combed and is always going in 100 different directions. To put it simply, it's just awesome. 

We will have a few less crazy moments with all of these boys together, but we are going to cherish each and every one of them that we get!


1 comment:

Charles and Melissa said...

So so true. It's hard to watch them leave and separate and become independent. It's even harder to see them fail or hurt or need something you can't fix. It still is. I love you.